Please note that after completion of the Galveston reunion, this
website, www.saigonmac.org, will no longer
be available and will be removed from the internet.
IF ANY OF YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION (MAILING ADDRESS, EMAIL ADDRESS, TELEPHONE NUMBERS, ETC.) HAS CHANGED, PLEASE CONTACT EITHER KEITH BIRKHOFER OR GUS TOMUSCHAT FOR MARINES OR MARY COLLIAS FOR DEPARTMENT OF STATE PERSONNEL WITH THE UPDATED INFORMATION SO THE ROSTERS MAY BE KEPT CURRENT. (Click on the appropriate name to send them an email)
Site last updated:
- April 7, 2014 - Put lasted updated roster of Marines on the Member's Page
- March 31, 2014 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- March 29, 2014 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- March 19, 2014 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- March 5, 2014 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- February 18, 2014 - Updated the next reunion attendee list; added reunion menu; added the reunion Guest Speaker's bio on the reunion's home page towards the bottom of the screen
- February 6, 2014 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- December 3, 2013 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- November 21, 2013 - Updated the next reunion attendee list
- October 13, 2013 - Updated the next reunion attendee list; added the schedule of events onto the reunion website Agenda page
- May 24, 2013 - Updated the next reunion attendee list; added in some photos of the Virginia reunion to the Past Reunion page
- April 13, 2013 - Updated the next reunion website with details about the hotel registration and reunion registration costs
- April 8, 2013 - Updated the next reunion website with the dates and location of the next reunion
- February 17, 2013 - Updated the "In Memoriam" list to include Robert "Bob" Bishton who passed away on October 21, 2011. He was the host of our reunion in Albany Georgia; updated the next reunion website with some of the basic information that is known at this time
- October 4, 2012 - Added the Chesapeake reunion information to the Previous Reunions website (still awaiting pictures)
- September 23, 2012 - updated the schedule of events for the reunion; updated the list of attendees; on the "Down Memory Lane" page have added a link to pictures submitted by Bob Fabian of his tour in 1969
- August 23, 2012 - Updated the upcoming reunion attendee list; on the "Interesting Odds-N-Ends" page, added facts about the Vietnam Wall in Washington, DC sent to me by William Kerakos
- July 22, 2012 - Updated the upcoming reunion attendee list
- July 5, 2012 - Updated the upcoming reunion attendee list
- June 21, 2012 - Updated the upcoming reunion attendee list; updated the list of Marines on the "Member's Page"
- March 26, 2012 - Updated the upcoming reunion attendee list; on the "Interesting Odds-N-Ends" page, added in links to files and YouTube videos that were sent to me by Bonnie Kuhr (a Vietnam pamphlet/guide), Paul Burton (email re a survivor from Iwo Jima and the raising of the flag on Mount Suribachi), Terry Ruddick (a YouTube video of the battle on Iwo Jima), Keith Birkhofer (a YouTube video taken at the Tan Son Nhut airbase in 1968), and Jim Prosser (an extremely large cave found in Vietnam); added in the first CO of Company E on the "History of Company "E" page in addition to updating the paragraph that spoke of the attack on the old U.S. Chancery building
- January 27, 2012 - Updated the 13th Saigon Embassy Marines and Civilians reunion coming up in September 2012 with the "Agenda" and "Sights / Sounds" of the reunion location; added links on the "Interesting Odds-N-Ends" page regarding the building and history of the "new" Embassy Building (very interesting reading), pictures of Tet 2012 from Steve Bray, Terry Ruddick Saigon today pictures, John Valdez's recent visit to Saigon pictures, and Bill Kerakos pictures of Marine with comments/quotes.
- January 6, 2012 - Added the 2011 VA Benefits Handbook through a link on the "Interesting Odds-N-Ends" page; also added links on the same page for pictures of Saigon in 1961 and 1965
- January 2, 2012 - Updated the list of military personnel list located on the "Member's Page"; added an article on the "Interesting Odds-N-Ends" page from the Department of State December 2011 issue of the Magazine (furnished by Judy Chidester) and an email about a tribute to Vietnam Marines (from Keith Birkhofer) written by James Webb; updated the "Saigon Ambassador's" list by inserting General J. Lawton "Lightning Joe" Collins (this omission was brought up by Tom Buckingham and the dates may be incorrect but the time frame isn't)
- December 26, 2011 - Updated the past reunions site to include our recently completed Albuquerque, NM reunion; Added the next reunion in Chesapeake, VA to the reunions logo link on the "Reunions" page
I am also looking for someone to be my backup Webmaster so if you are interested, please contact me.
American Embassy Saigon Before The Fall of Saigon in 1975
Our website is intended to allow interested people to understand what serving our country was like at the American Embassy, Saigon, Republic of Vietnam. Our group consists of Marine Security Guards, who are responsible for the security and welfare of personnel and property at United States of America foreign missions throughout the world, civilian employees who served their country in Saigon in various capacities, Marines of Company "E" who provided perimeter security, and Army, Navy and Air Force servicemen who were assigned to the Embassy in various positions.
The picture below has too much history to it to put it into one of the photo albums. It is of Tim French holding a remnant of the front door of the old American Embassy in Saigon. The Viet Cong attacked the Embassy in 1968 during the Tet Offensive and broke down the front door. Tim's father, the Administrative Officer in Saigon at the time, had a panel of the door with the American Embassy seal framed, and Tim now has it at his apartment in Bangkok, Thailand.
Number of Visitors To This Site To Date.